isaiah 40: 28-31

"do you not know? have you not heard? the Lord is the everlasting God, the creator of the ends of the earth. he will not tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom. he gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumle and fall; but hose who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. they will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."

Sunday, August 12, 2007

family retreat

hmm...
we had a church wide family retreat this weekend. it was incredible! over 210 people were there. 1/3 parents, 1/3 kids, 1/4 singles, and the rest were senior citizens. other than 100+ degree weather, there was not a single complaint. the staff and spouses provided the volunteer pool for the children's classes. john and crysty had to attend a close friend's wedding so bret and i got to be in charge of the youth for about half the weekend. it was so much fun. worship was really nice and just hanging out with acquaintences developing relationships was what mostly happened. it was exactly what i had been praying...ok...begging of God. he really showed me alot. as we stood at the close in a giant circle, holding hands, i couldn't help but ball my eyes out at the visual image God was placing before me. i know it probalby sounds cheesy, but i need cheesy. holding hands in a giant circle symbolizing community and unity...its exactly what i need. thank you God for starting something great this weekend. i pray you keep it going in us. help me do what you call of me....

on another note....i need help and accountablilty in controling my temper. i am so much better now than i have been once upon a time. i, also, am much better when i take my medicine regularly. however, my children are really starting to sound too much like the me i don't like. pushing and yelling at each other. i know some of that happens naturally in sibling rivalries, but i am really noticing ME in their blow ups and i am ashamed. anyone have any good coping mechanisms for learning to hold your tongue with your children? i want to model calmness. anyway....i know alot of poeple that don't actually post responses read this. i also know i am putting myself out there and being vulnerable to who knows who...but i need to be held accountable, so...there it is if you like it and there it is if you don't!! hehehe,

pictures of cooper and the retreat to come. we leave for destin in 5 days!! woohoo!
later

7 comments:

Lesli said...

I'm glad that the retreat went well! I was wondering about it and hoping it was going well...and a little sad I wasn't there. Oh well. Glad you had fun!

janjanmom said...

I need to know any tips you get for that temper thing. I am highly emotional-anger and tears both. I have prayed and prayed. I do see improvement in myself, but then there are days when I feel I am back at square one. I love you, have no tips-but I wanted to let you know you are not alone.

Stephanie said...

First, I am jealous for your cheesy weekend. I am so in need of that myself.

Second, be completely honest with the kids. When one of them loses their temper, pick them up and say, "you know who you sound like? mommy. how does it make you feel when mommy yells? pretty bad, huh? well, I'm trying to not yell because it makes everybody else feel bad. when you yell, it makes everybody else feel bad too." then give them a goofy word (like "cantaloupe") to yell when they need to be heard. Tell them, when they feel frustrated, just yell "CANTALOUPE!" (The first few times they yell, you will have to remind them.) Then make sure you are able to stop what you are doing, give the situation your undivided attention, and ease the frustration. Good luck!

the Kimberlins said...

I loved the retreat too! At least the part of it when I was there and feeling well.

I am sorry I am not a parent and have no wisdom for you. But I love you and know you are a wonderful mother.

Lesli said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog. We hope to have a good time in Florida. It is supposed to rain all week though. Hopefully weather.com will be wrong & we'll have some sunny beach days. Keeping my fingers crossed!!

janjanmom said...

I gave you an award on my blog, come check it out!

Hope your vacation was great! Love ya.

Lesli said...

Can we see Florida pics??